M 0413 459 828
Areas of Practice
Andrew practices primarily in criminal, quasi-criminal, administrative and public law. He also accepts briefs in other areas of law particularly as they intersect with criminal and public law.
Before signing the Bar Roll, Andrew was a Senior Associate in Russell Kennedy’s Public Law, Litigation and Aged Care group. He had a varied practice comprised largely of coronial inquests, administrative law and tort claims acting for Government clients. Prior to that Andrew was employed at the Office of Chief Examiner of Victoria Police. In that role he appeared and instructed in organised crime cases connected with the Major Crime (Investigative Powers) Act 2004.
Andrew began his career as a commercial litigation solicitor and spent one year working in Fiji in aid and development.
Some of Andrew’s specific experience and expertise is in the following areas.
- Inquisitorial proceedings such as standing commissions, judicial enquiries and coronial inquests.
- The use of coercive powers and special investigative techniques.
- Complex and organised crime.
- Professional disciplinary proceedings.
- Contempt of court.
- Judicial review, particularly as it intersects with the criminal law.
- Appellate practice: civil and criminal appeals, cases stated, referrals of questions of law and special leave applications.
- Youth crime and child protection.
- Subpoenas, legal professional privilege, the privilege against self-incrimination and public interest immunity.
- Intentional torts.
- Proceedings pursuant to the Confiscation Act 1997.
- Proceedings pursuant to the Serious Sex Offender (Detention and Supervision) Act 2009.
- Prosecutions pursuant to the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004.
- Equal opportunity and discrimination.
- Advice and proceedings pursuant to the Aged Care Act 1997.
- Substituted decision-making and mental health.
Andrew read in Crockett Chambers with Sean Cash. His senior mentor is Paul Holdenson QC. He is on the Victoria Legal Aid Preferred Trial Counsel List.Contact Us Today